To apply, please send your cover letter and resumé to email@example.com and include desired position in subject line.
Topa Topa Brewing Company Cellar Person
We are looking for a self-motivated, hard working, dedicated individual to join our Production team! The cellar person is responsible for all aspects of the processes related to fermentation, conditioning, treatment, clarification, carbonation, and packaging of product.
This position requires the ability to synthesize information and intelligently troubleshoot. Dedication to continued improvement, growth, and learning is extremely important. Prior experience in a commercial production brewery or high-volume brew pub is mandatory. And, a love for craft beer and a good sense of humor are necessary!
The ideal candidate will be a passionate advocate for Independent Craft Beer and be motivated to grow within the company and stay for the long term.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Maintain a spotless brewhouse and brewery area.
● Safely follow detailed SOPs for cleaning and packaging.
● Document (via computer and manual logs) cleaning, calibration, packaging, brewing, and maintenance tasks.
● Assist brewers with developing/refining SOPs.
● Be willing to learn and train others in brewing, cellar, and packaging.
● Clean, sanitize, transport, and organize kegs, cans, and bottles.
● Organize & clean walk-in cooler.
● Grain: inventory, organize, transfer into silo, assist with milling.
● Organization of brewery equipment, supplies, and ancillary items.
● Receive, maintain, and document inventory for all ingredients and products.
● Assist brewers with day-to-day tasks.
● Assist with yeast handling/management.
● Cellaring duties including glycol system management and maintenance.
● CIP (clean-in-place) of brewhouse, fermentation vessels, and other equipment while following all safety guidelines.
● Follow/maintain/develop sanitary practices in all aspects of beer processing.
● Execute preventative maintenance on all brewhouse and cellar equipment.
● Assist with lab testing and other Quality Assurance activities.
● Assist with Sales tasks including pulling, and occasionally delivering, Sales orders.
● Assist with external events such as tap takeovers, beer festivals, and other marketing related events.
● Minimum six months experience in a commercial production brewery or high-volume brew pub is mandatory. ***This is not an entry level position***
● A strong passion for the industry and a desire to advance your personal and professional skills by helping to build a young brewery.
● Basic understanding of brewing concepts (basic brewing and fermentation concepts).
● Basic knowledge and experience with cellar tasks including yeast handling, chemical handling, CIP procedures, general cleaning and sanitization, milling, keg filling, (canning/bottling experience a huge plus), etc.
● Strong organizational habits, a self-motivated work ethic, and good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
● Basic computer literacy with basic understanding of Microsoft Office programs.
● Willingness to learn and use brewery software (Ekos). Previous Ekos experience a huge plus.
● Ability to self direct and manage time without direct input or supervision.
● Ability to perform multiple tasks sequentially/concurrently without becoming overwhelmed.
● Ability to work both alone as well as with the rest of the team.
● Willingness to perform written scheduling and self-assessment throughout a shift. Most tasks throughout your day will require documentation of some sort.
● Ability to positively interact with coworkers, employees, and the outside world.
● Ability to prioritize tasks, optimize your daily schedule, and be a team player.
● An understanding of basic quality assurance (QA) methods and techniques; basic knowledge of brewery related chemistry and biology a plus (basics of what acids and bases are; basics of how yeast and bacteria work etc.)
● Willingness to communicate consistently with the rest of the production team (on-site and remote) at least twice daily using email, text, and inside company messaging (Basecamp/Ekos).
● Willingness to follow all published SOPs/protocols and to assist in the development of new ones.
● Ability and willingness to interact and teach non-production employees, the public, and occasionally customers on brewery tours the basics of brewing, beer styles, and brewhouse functions in a friendly and positive manner.
● Ability to display a positive attitude and be a role model for Topa Topa and the industry as a whole - especially at the end of a long, hard shift. A positive attitude is essential.
● Experience with forklift operation (certification a plus but not mandatory if you have experience)
● A positive attitude, willingness to learn, and excellent communication skills are essential.
● Weekend, early morning, or late evening work required at times.
● Ability to engage in heavy physical labor including climbing stairs, climbing into tanks, pulling hoses, scrubbing, and working in hot environments or in uncomfortable positions (bending/squatting/reaching) etc.
● Ability to stand and walk on hard surfaces for an entire shift.
● Ability to work in wet, hot, and cold conditions.
● Ability to work in a consistently loud environment.
● Ability to work safely with potentially hazardous chemicals.
● Ability to move up to 160 pounds (roll/hand truck) and lift up to 80 lbs.
● Willingness to adhere to all PPE (personal protective equipment) requirements and follow all SOP and safety protocols without question.
● Pay commensurate with experience
● Two weeks paid time off
● Sick leave
● Company tab
● More free beer than you can probably ever consume and good vibes to boot.
Topa Topa Brewing Co. is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.